Every year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, A-PLUS Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a oven to warm your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, A-PLUS Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 301-747-3140 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.