With the winter weather we all tend to spend the majority of our time inside trying to stay warm. While sometimes curling up with a blanket and drinking hot cocoa will do the trick, A-PLUS Service Experts is here with a few tips on how to stay warm (and safe!) this season.
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Verify you have carbon monoxide (CO) detectors installed on each floor of your home, particularly near bedrooms, and test them to make sure they are functioning. Since CO does not have a smell and cannot be detected, it’s important that you have operating CO detectors to make sure your home is safe.
Get Your Chimney Inspection
This is the perfect time of year to get the fireplace up and running, but before you do, make sure you have your chimney cleaned and checked by a professional. The fireplace can be a source of CO if you don’t keep it regularly cleaned and maintained.
Be Careful with Space Heaters
Space heaters are normally safe, energy efficient, and a helpful way to heat small rooms of your home, but make sure it has been authorized by a recognized testing laboratory and has an automatic shut-off feature. Follow all manufacturer’s instructions and ensure it is placed on a hard, level surface at least 3 feet away from anything flammable.
With a furnace tune-up from A-PLUS Service Experts in Waldorf, we will perform a safety check of your furnace to make sure there are no leaks or CO issues. Along with a Precision tune-up, confirm your heating vents are not blocked and that you’re changing your air filter every month. This will prevent the air flow from becoming restricted and help avoid allergens from irritating respiratory issues.
If You Need Help Staying Warm, Ask
There are correct ways and wrong ways to keep your home warm – using the oven, a grill, or a camp stove are all wrong ways. Using these products to heat your home could cause a fire or a dangerous accumulation of carbon monoxide. If you need help paying your energy bills, visit NeedHelpPayingBills.com to find a service near you.
To ensure your home is ready to keep you safe and warm through the winter, call A-PLUS Service Experts at 301-747-3140 today.