When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At A-PLUS Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call A-PLUS Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Waldorf, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Waldorf or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 301-747-3140 or schedule an appointment with A-PLUS Service Experts through our online scheduler.