Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s probably something wrong with your AC. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems eventually. We’re going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling generally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. An expert can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can come from a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A noticeable noise from your outdoor unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about common air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without looking at your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s an issue with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it’s better to get problems taken care of right away. Contacting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Find an Effective HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable during every season, nothing is more important than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice affects your daily comfort, monthly utility expenditures and general home efficiency. But, with so many system... Continue reading
Yearly HVAC Maintenance Guidelines
Once the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to get your home ready for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm atmosphere. A well-maintained furnace supplies the comfort you want while using less energy. Routine inspections also make your... Continue reading
HVAC Trends: What’s New in 2024
In the ever-changing world of home HVAC, keeping up with the current HVAC trends is imperative for homeowners looking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. As we move into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing new technologies and trends aimed at changing how... Continue reading