Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is working? There's probably something wrong with your system. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems eventually. We're going to help you figure out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. A technician can help determine where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can create noise inside your house. Browse our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A loud noise from your outdoor unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's something wrong with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it's best to get problems taken care of right away. Calling a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.