Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping your home’s air cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Waldorf heat out and help your air conditioner thrive throughout the remaining days of summer.
Here are a few tips from A-PLUS Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by reaping the benefits of solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, purchase blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to discover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Look at your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is operating as it should be and that you are getting top efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give A-PLUS Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Waldorf or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working properly.