Cooler months in Waldorf are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace could release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to keep it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not operating as it should be or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any possible concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other out-of-place things that could compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its top efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at A-PLUS Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 301-747-3140 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.