According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Serious poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?
- If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can contact A-PLUS Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance once per year to check that no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the onset of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new energy efficient furnace.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.