Health for Your Central Air Conditioner
Keep things running smoothly with these preventive care tips.
Cleaning is not just for your home.
The air conditioning or heat pump system needs your attention, too. If neglected, the system could result in inefficient operation, less cooling, high electric bills and possible damage to your system.
What is important?
- Clean any accumulated leaves and debris from the outside unit. These can block air flow to the outside condenser.
- Make sure your furnace filter is clean. Check and/or change the filter (which is also used by the air conditioner) every three months. A clogged filter can block air circulation, freeze up the system, and generate higher electric bills.
- Have the freon level checked to maintain proper levels. Too little freon can cause system icing, higher electric bills and possible damage to the compressor.
- Have parts lubricated to prevent premature motor bearing wear and to ensure a quieter and smoother operation.
- Make sure the condensate drain is unobstructed. When blocked, water will back up and can flow down the furnace on to the floor. A furnace can rust with prolonged blockage.
- Have a qualified contractor clean and check the entire air conditioning system.